Kannapolis, NC asked in Family Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Can a mother take children to another state to live without father knowing or without his consent. From Pa to NC

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall
  • Norristown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: If there's a custody order in place, absolutely not. There's a specific procedure for "relocation" cases that must be followed. Contact (and hire) a good family law attorney in PA for assistance on that.

Realistically, however, if a tree falls in the forest and there's no one around, does it make a sound? Likewise, if there's no court order, and no one complains about the relocation, it's pretty much a case of "no harm/no foul." If there's a relationship between the children and father, however, the mother should certainly consider that fact as a decent co-parent before spiriting the kids off to NC. Just sayin'.

Best of luck to everyone.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.