Dolton, IL asked in Real Estate Law for Illinois

Q: My father recently bought a house without the seller having the title in his name. Is this a legal sale?

The seller went down with my father to get a notarized letter saying that he was transferring his rights to the house to my father. We found out that he did not have the title and that the title of the house was not in his name yet he still sold it. He was able to change the taxes to his name without the title.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ray Choudhry
Ray Choudhry
  • Moline, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Was he transferring his rights such as from an estate or some contract he had with the owner.

You need to find out who owns the house. Check with the Recorder of Deeds.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.