Littleton, CO asked in Contracts for Minnesota

Q: my husband had his parents on mortgage. He wasn’t. We made all the payments & taxes. sold it. She kept $. What can do?

Curious if there is anything we can do to get the money back from the sale of the home. Parents never paid anything. Just their name was on the paperwork. We sold it after 15 years.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Unless your and/or husband had some sort of written contract or lease agreement covering your living in the property owned by his parents there is nothing you can do. The 15 years of mortgage payments you and your husband made were akin to rent; in fact, unless his parents had allowed you and your husband to live in their property you probably would have had to pay significantly more money to rent some comparable property elsewhere.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.