Marshall, MI asked in Medical Malpractice for Michigan

Q: My back surgeon messed me up good. He left a screw crooked, broke a bone, and caused 2 more discs to bulge.

Do I have a case

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Brent T. Geers

  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Possibly. Whether you have a case and whether an attorney would take your case are two different things, and quite honestly comes down to costs / benefits to the attorney. Most attorneys who handle medical malpractice claims evaluate those claims thoroughly - often through an on-staff or contracted medical professional - before agreeing to take the case. The attorney would be investing time and money into your case, and so the ultimate decision to take the case comes down to whether they may receive more money than what they put into the case. Sometimes people have valid claims, but the damages aren't very much and don't substantiate taking on the case.

Best thing you can do is call around to different medical malpractice attorneys and let them evaluate your case.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Tim Akpinar

  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: It would be difficult for a Michigan med mal attorney to make a determination based on these limited facts. This is a complex file involving surgery, and to properly evaluate it, an attorney would need to review the records. If you contact med mal attorneys in Michigan, you'll find that many of them offer free initial consultations. Good luck.

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.