Covington, GA asked in Divorce for Georgia

Q: The document is dated for 10/22/2018. They located me through email 2 weeks ago but served me tonight.

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers

Ellaretha Coleman

  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: I'm not sure what your question is. If the petition/complaint is dated 10/22/2018, but you were not served until last night, you will still have 30 days from the date of service to respond. It is not unusual for there to be a delay in service if there is difficulty locating a respondent.

Regina Irene Edwards and Don F. Harris agree with this answer

Regina Irene Edwards

  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You still have 30 days. Go talk to a lawyer.

Don F. Harris agrees with this answer

Don F. Harris


A: I agree with the other answers, but is your question whether the delay in getting you served make it too late to count as a valid lawsuit? Usually not, but it is a local issue, so consult a local lawyer. More to the point, if you get it dismissed for failure to serve timely, it does you know good. The divorce would just be re-filed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.