Shawnee, KS asked in Contracts for Kansas

Q: Does new ownership of an asst living facility have to honor prepaid rent?

My mother lives in an assisted living facility and is paid through the end of the year. A new corporation just purchased the facility and they are saying they have no record of the payments. Obviously we have proof of payment but they say we have to go after the old company for a refund and we still owe them rent. This is the case for over half of the residents at this facility, including some that were paid a couple years out.

Is this legal for the new management group to do or how do you recommend resolving it?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Scott C. Stockwell
Scott C. Stockwell
  • Lawrence, KS
  • Licensed in Kansas

A: Assisted living facilities are regulated in the state of Kansas. . One of the first steps you should take is to reach out to state regulators and make a formal complaint.

In a typcial transaction where a facility is transferred, a part of the transaction closing would be a true-up of prepaids and deposits. The purchaser of the facility was in the best position to ensure that an accurate true-up was completed. In the true-up, credits and debits would be permitted for oustanding obligations or benefits that were not otherwise accounted for in third party transactions with residents or third party vendors.

You should consult with an attorney immediatly to ensure the options for enforcing the rights of the patient are preserved.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.