Denver, CO asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Colorado

Q: Can i get in trouble for continuing my relationship with my boyfriend who has a dv with me and is taking it to trial?

My boyfriend and I had started out in what i thought to be a dream vome true relationship. However, september of last year we got into a scuffle over something he was hiding on his phone. The cops got invovled and now he is taking it to trialeven though he admitsto me to what he did. He began acting strangly as if i were in danger but never threatened me out right. But my reaction of course was a defensive one in which i believe he recorded to help his case. He tells me he just hasnt taken a plea yet because he is trying to get them to lessen it and that he wants a future with me and that i could stay with him and not worry and he will show me if i just give him a chance. Am i treading in unsafe waters? Is he trying to falsify evidence? What can i do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Douglas T. Cohen
Douglas T. Cohen
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Denver, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: If this is in Colorado, there is a mandatory protection order that prohibits your boyfriend (the defendant) from contacting you.

You cannot get in trouble for contacting him (unless you are breaking some other law), but he can get in trouble for having contact with you in violation of the protection order or possibly witness tampering, harassment etc.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.