Springfield, IL asked in Real Estate Law for Illinois

Q: Do I have any legal options or am I saddled with the burden of trying to get this repaired?

The previous owners paid a contractor $1550 to install 14 footings and leveling jacks in the crawlspace. I have the receipt for the work completed 5/16/2014. The center of my house is sagging into the crawlspace. I went down into the crawlspace to visually inspect. One of the support beams used by a couple of the leveling jacks in my opinion is not structurally safe and should not have been used. Also. the beam has shifted to approximately 20 degree angle. I have been told by two different companies that the work claimed to have been done may not have been possible for $1550. I have gotten two different estimates for repair for $10170 and $22000.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Steve McCann
Steve McCann
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You may have a couple of options based on the facts provided. Your best option would likely be if the previous owners of the home had knowledge of the material defects you describe. If so, they may have violated various Illinois statutes if they did not disclose the defects to you when you purchased the work.

That being the case, I recommend you organize everything in your possession that is relevant to this matter, and consult with an attorney individually. Many of us offer free consultations, so it will not cost you anything out of pocket to obtain the opinion of an experienced professional who can advise as to your options moving forward.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.