Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Iowa

Q: What can I get charge with ?

House was raided a month ago, I guess they were told that I was taking trips to Mex n bringing back with me large quantities of dope or through mail. During the raid a digital scale, a personal amount of dope, close $5000, and a ziploc bag was found, my phone along texts and laptop which I got maybe a few pictures taken out of google. I wasnt taken to jail or charged with anything that night but I was told that I needed to cooperate and I had 45 days to do so or else I would get arrested. I over heard them talking about possession with intent to distribute (meth), also felony child endargerment cause my 3 year old was present, and drug stamp. Today I called County Attorney and asked about my stuff or what kind of charges I was looking at and he wasnt even aware of this so I was told to call Detectives, now they're telling me that I need an attorney for property and most likely charge me with something. I dont if they're mad for thinking that they were gonna made a huge bust, NOPE!

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL

A: Stop trying to play lawyer. You desperately need a lawyer.

You are facing serious time.

Stop talking to EVERYONE.


Katherine Sears
Katherine Sears
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Des Moines, IA
  • Licensed in Iowa

A: The charges that you've mentioned are all possibilities, as are others (paraphernalia, etc.) I expect that they'll be holding your property as evidence for the foreseeable future. You may want to talk to a lawyer who handles civil issues to handle any civil asset forfeiture (I wouldn't be shocked if they tried to keep, in particular, the cash, the phone, and the laptop) and a criminal defense lawyer to handle the investigation and any subsequent charges.

If what they retrieved was truly only a personal amount of (whatever substance), I expect this will be an Iowa, not federal case. If you end up with federal charges, you'll need a defense attorney who's admitted to practice in federal courts.

Do not talk to the police or any agent of the police or legal system until you get an attorney. If you are taken into custody, it would be advisable to tell them that you want to invoke your right to remain silent and that you want an attorney. You need to say these things very clearly, because if the state can say that you were "ambiguous" in your request, they can get away with interrogating you without an attorney.

As a parent, the very most important thing you can do right now is to plan for your kid's or kids' safety. Find a friend or family member who can take care of them if you're taken into custody for any reason. Make sure that your rent/mortgage, utilities, and any other bills are caught up. If there's someone you trust to access your accounts and manage your finances if you're taken into custody so that your rent (etc.) doesn't fall behind, you might look into making those arrangements too.

Understand that you may be under surveillance. Do not make any trips to Mexico. Do not contact anyone you've purchased any drugs from or sold any drugs to, if such things have happened. Do not discuss what has happened or your potential case with anyone other than your attorney; anyone you tell things to could end up being called as a witness against you. Do not do absolutely anything at all that might be understood as illegal. Right now, you are finding an attorney, making sure your kids are safe and cared for if you're taken into custody, and living an absolutely normal, boring, vanilla life.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.