Gridley, IL asked in Workers' Compensation for Illinois

Q: Is there a time limit in Illinois to seek medical aid with a on the job injury?

Fell on shoulder at work. Filed paperwork about injury but did not feel need for medical aid at the time. Have pain off and on for seven months. Want to see doctor and am told I waited too long and workmans comp will not pay the bill. Is this right?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

James G. Ahlberg

  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • Rochelle, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: The insurance company's perspective is that since you went without treatment for seven months you must not have suffered an injury needing treatment. In their eyes, the fact you need treatment for the first time seven months later indicates you suffered a re-injury that they are not responsible for but that you are trying to stick them with. These can be tough cases for the injured party's attorney. Your best bet is to contact an attorney immediately and explain the situation to him or her. It will help if you can establish a history of complaining about your shoulder at work during the seven months you went without treatment.

Peter C. Wachowski

  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • Park Ridge, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: No. As long as the accident is reported within 45 days you have three years to file a claim from the date of accident. It is OK if it took seven months to treat, in theory, but it would be slightly suspect. I recommend contacting an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.