Norcross, GA asked in Criminal Law for Georgia

Q: I have finished the probation time i was sentenced for. My restituion is not paid off. Do i still report to probation?

Sentenced to 7 years due 1. Criminal damage to property 2nd degree and 2 counts simple battery and ordered to pay restitution. I did the 1 year and have been on probation for the 6 remaining years. I have not finished paying the restitution. Does my probation end now, or when my restitution is paid off. I have heard a judge can extend the sentence until i have paid off the restitution but i have not been made aware of anything like that happenning with my case.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael D. Barber Jr.
Michael D. Barber Jr.
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Your issues are not typical as the courts usually don't let you reach the end without resolving restitution. The court cannot extend the sentence past the original date, they don't have the power to resentence without a hearing. AND the sentence cannot be longer than is allowed by law.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.