Aurora, CO asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Colorado

Q: My nephew has four counts of attempting to obtain a controlled substance via fraud. How much time is he likely to get?

We know that he will do time regardless, but are wondering whether to just let him use a public defender or get a lawyer.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Greenlee
Jonathan Greenlee
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Boulder, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Public defenders are lawyers, and often very good ones. A private attorney generally will have more time- as you are paying them for their time- and a lower caseload, but a public defender has the advantage of being in the same courtroom every day and knowing how the judge and prosecutor will act.

A charge of attempting to obtain a controlled substance via fraud under CRS § 18-18-415 is a Class 4 Drug Felony. Each count has a presumptive range of 6-12 months in prison with 1 year of mandatory parole, which can be aggravated up to a maximum of 2 years in prison depending on other circumstances (such as being on bond or probation at the time of the offense). Generally speaking, he should be eligible for a sentence to probation or a half-way house on these charges, and it is rare to see people go to prison on a DF4 offense unless there are other aggravating factors, such as extensive criminal history and non-compliance with treatment. Ever case is different so it is very hard to say without knowing all the specific information for his case. If he is willing to take accountability and do treatment, it is likely he can avoid doing time.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.