Martinsville, IN asked in Landlord - Tenant for Indiana

Q: I notified landlord of water leak & water damage day I moved in. Deposit withheld for water damage. File in sml claims?

Water damage was never addressed. Landlord says after initial leak fixed, there must have been additional leaks not reported that contributed to water damage. Therefore, I was responsible for the water damage. I have a text I sent notifying them of the leak and water damage. Should that text be enough to win a small claims decision?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alexander Florian Steciuch
Alexander Florian Steciuch
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: No one here will be able to give you a yes or no answer as to whether or not a single piece of evidence is enough to win a case or obtain a judgment against another individual or entity. A lawyer can only give you their informed professional opinion on a case after reviewing all of the facts and evidence that you have. That said, Small Claims sets forth a very low standard on the burden of proof in order to obtain a judgment. Written evidence that you informed your landlord of water damage and leakage from the pipes may be enough to win, but once again, without a full review of all of the facts and evidence in the case, it is impossible to say.

Even if you plan on representing yourself in Small Claims court, you should consider sitting down with an attorney prior to filing to review your case and obtain legal advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.