Uniondale, NY asked in Divorce for New York

Q: If divorce judgment was for EEC/ED to be paid post tax $5,000 per month with 9% interest until paid off, can i prepay?

The judgment does NOT include language that you can prepay at any time without any penalties. I have been paying for 5 years. If I continue to pay the $5,000 per month, not only will it take 40 more years to complete, but my ex wife will have received a few million dollars over the initial amount of $9,600,000 - even with simple interest. I just want to pay the balance off (about $642,000) with larger payments, or with a single payoff. Can I do this? I just read about a judgment in NJ for interest to continue as ordered, because the recipient had based her financial planning on the 11% interest for 10 years: Rosen v. Rosen, 225 N.J. Super. 33, 541 A.2d 716 (App. Div. 1988). Is this relevant to me, and would this be the case in NY??? Honestly the last thing I want to do is file or litigate, and spend even more money, if I am only going to lose again...


Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Mironenko
Nina Mironenko
  • Huntington, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Your Stipulation of Settlement, or Decision and Order (if you had a trial on this issue) should include language that you can prepay at any time without any penalties. Even if they do not, contain this language, you can tender payment in full. If your ex wife refuses to accept the pre payment, then you can make an application to the court (by way of motion) for the right to do so.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.