Saint Robert, MO asked in Bankruptcy for Missouri

Q: Can I file an amended bankruptcy on a debt that wasn't discharged in the original bankruptcy?

I filed bankruptcy and one of the debts wasn't discharged (it was for a distance school, no child support, not an accredited college). Why didn't it get discharged? Could a faulty address be to blame? And can I go back and amend that? Please do not put down the fact that I did it. We are very, very low income, trying to make our credit better! Thank you for your answer!

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: You need to talk to a bankruptcy attorney, but you can most likely reopen and amend your petition to include that debt.

Bruce Alexander Minnick agrees with this answer

David Reese Fondren
David Reese Fondren
  • St. Charles, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: If the debt was listed, the address is not the problem. To discharge a student loan, even non-accredited schools, requires filing a separate lawsuit in the bankruptcy court. Otherwise the presumption remains that it is not discharged. The good news is you can still file your adversary even after the discharge is granted. There is a separate filing fee to file your complaint. A bankruptcy attorney familiar with student loan cases is your best choice. These cases are normally handled hourly. You need to schedule an appointment for someone to assess your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.