Antigo, WI asked in Probate for Wisconsin

Q: My mother passed away Nov. 2015. I never received my inheritance can call probate yet

My mother told me that I will will be receiving a parcel land and some cash and the Will

was dated also in 2015

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas B. Burton
Thomas B. Burton
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Eau Claire, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: If there was a Will, it should have been filed with the probate office at the Courthouse in the County in which your Mother resided when she died. If a probate action was opened, it should be listed online in the Wisconsin Circuit Court Access system. You can go to their website and search using your Mother's last name to see if a probate case has been opened. If you are named as a beneficiary in the Will, then you would be entitled to whatever assets are bequeathed to you in the Will, assuming your Mother still owned those assets at her death AND that her assets exceeded her debts upon death. Your Mother's Will should have named a Personal Representative (also called an Executor) to administer her Estate. You should check with this person to see if the bequests your Mother mentioned to you are in the Will. It seems likely that a probate action from 2015 would have been completed by now, but if no one opened the probate, then perhaps there is a probate process that the Estate still needs to go through before any assets can be distributed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.