Memphis, TN asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Tennessee

Q: Tennessee Caregiver of Father I’mThe eldest sibling and only daughter of my father.

Beginning 2014 my father became unable to care for himself and long story short my brothers kicked him out of their homes and he ended up with me. During this time I was harassed and threatened by my brothers. I did my best to preserve my fathers assets and never spent money without his permission but he gave me monetary gifts amounting to maybe $3/4K annually during this time. The last year he was total care and asked me to hire assistance so I could continue caring for him at home. I did so and after my dad died, instead of being grateful I saved my dads estate valued at $220k they are trying to sue me for the $20k I spent of his! I spent $40k of my own! Lost 3 jobs! Now have attorney fees and mental problems! What can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You do not state if the Estate is suing you or whatever. You may wish to make a Claim against the Estate yourself. Hopefully you did not have your Father's Power of Attorney. If you did, you will have the burden of proving everything was done for his benefit. Try to produce receipts or checks where you spent his money. Hire a competent attorney to represent you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.