Dallas, GA asked in Criminal Law and Intellectual Property for Georgia

Q: What options do I have when a neighbor caused, allowed and had knowledge of a theft of property of greater than $30K?

I am disabled and live in a subsidized apt in GA. My neighbor let two people stay with her for approx. 2 weeks until they were arrested for trespassing. During that two weeks, the guests stole property I had on the porch due to bed bugs. Neighbor knew I was keeping those items. She even had a piece of my property on her porch and claimed it as hers when the Police came. I made a police report. The Detective handling the case says my neighbor probably won't be charged because she acts like she's not mentally all there. Nor is the landlord, mgr, evicting her. Manager said I would have to learn to ignore her. Our front doors aren't 2 feet apart.

1 Lawyer Answer
Ecleynne Mercy
Ecleynne Mercy
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: I would make sure that there is a criminal warrant against the 2 people that did the stealing. You can always apply for a criminal warrant on your neighbor for aiding and abetting. You can also try to sue her for any items she lied about and said they were hers. I hope this helps. An attorney can and will be able to navigate through all your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.