Asked in Traffic Tickets for Minnesota

Q: I got a ticket in Dakota County for 106mph in a 55mph, i went to court and it was dropped to a petty misdemeanor & 99mph

The court stated that having it dropped to 99mph and a petty misdemeanor, that it would mean that the state DMV would not revoke my license for 6 month. No previous moving violations on my record. I just got pulled over for having a revoked license upon a trooper running my plate. He stated the DMV revoked my license for the speed ticket. Is there anything that can be done?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas C Gallagher
Thomas C Gallagher
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: Based on that description, it sounds like someone may have made an error. Check the District Court's "Register of Actions" at the Minnesota Court's website, using the court file number (case number) or citation number. Make sure it shows what it should: speeding under 100 mph. Also, call a "Driver Evaluator" at the Minnesota Department of Public Safety. Ask why your license is revoked. If they say it is due to a speeding 100 mph or over, you'll know what to do. If the court's record is mistaken, file a motion to re-open then appear in court to ask they fix it and send a de-certification to MN DPS. If the court record is correct, ask the Driver Evaluator how to get them to update their record or correct their mistake. I'm also happy to talk about it if you call me.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.