Calhoun, GA asked in Criminal Law and Elder Law for Georgia

Q: My neighbor got me fired. How am I in trouble for this?

My neighbor got upset about my small dog in her yard in February, and she made false accusations about me to try to get me fired. I filed two police reports about harassment. She stopped until two weeks ago when she started an incident in the driveway when I wasn't here. During the incident, my mother in law cussed at her. Now, a detective had me subpoenaed for a pre-warrant hearing (MY HUSBAND AND I ARE THE ACCUSED). She is saying that it is elder abuse because my mother in law cussed at her. She got me fired from my job for this. Is there any legal basis for this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ecleynne Mercy
Ecleynne Mercy
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: First, you want to care of the criminal case first. You want to get an attorney for that hearing because the burden of proof is so low. Please get an attorney although you may feel you are not in the wrong how you present that information in connection with the law is what will get the criminal piece take care of. Then you can file a civil case.

Second, you want to file a civil case and a criminal case for lying and causing you significant damage from her false statements. I hope this helps. Please get an attorney. You dont want to say the wrong thing during the hearing and have to deal with a whole criminal case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.