Vancouver, WA asked in Family Law for Oregon

Q: My son had his first child Valentine's day of 2019. The mother did not put him on the birth certificate (Oregon)

and he thinks he should wait to establish paternity ect until he is financially stable. I feel that it looks way worse not doing anything, the judge understands that money isn't everything! What do you think?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
M. Nicole Clooten
M. Nicole Clooten
  • Pendleton, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: If your son wants to have any guaranteed relationship with the child then he should file immediately. The longer he waits and does not have parenting time, the more difficult the argument gets that he should have significant time with the child. Of course, this does open up the liability to pay child support, but if it is his child, he should be paying support. I suggest going to the Oregon Child Support Calculator online to see what he would possibly be paying, though I would further suggest talking to an attorney about what income he could be imputed as well as the other factors related to a child support calculation. Bear in mind, he could be liable for the expenses of the birth as well.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.