Newport, RI asked in Criminal Law for Colorado

Q: How can one, 5 years post conviction, get a felony case dismissed?

I cared for my parents, in their home, for years, without pay. I was convicted of using > $1K and <$20K of their money. I was given no credit for paying for their groceries or working without pay.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Greenlee
Jonathan Greenlee
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Boulder, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: If you were convicted, you cannot get the case dismissed post-conviction. You also cannot seal or expunge a felony conviction for this type of charge. There are a number of ways you could attempt to re-open the case, such as an appeal for ineffective assistance of counsel, but if 5 years have passed these options would likely be time barred unless you have a very good reason for the delay.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.