Asked in Family Law for Oregon

Q: I have sole legal custody of my daughter, dad has parenting time. What can I do if he refuses to give her back to me?


The father of my child has threatened to keep our daughter from me after his next visitation. He gets parenting time every other Fri 3PM-Sun 6PM. I am wondering if I am allowed to involve the police if he does not return her to me? I have a signed court order with our parenting time written in.

Separately--- Can I do anything about the threats being made?

Thank you!!!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
M. Nicole Clooten
M. Nicole Clooten
  • Pendleton, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: I would have to see the language in the judgment, but generally a parent is committing custodial interference if they do not abide by the parenting time plan, and the police should get involved, though sometimes you have to petition the court for a writ of assistance. I would advise hiring or at least consulting with an attorney prior to applying for a writ of assistance. Regarding the threats, you can file for a modification of parenting time and ask that it be supervised, but considering nothing has actually happened yet, it would be a difficult argument. Make sure to keep any record of these threats.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.