Livingston, LA asked in Car Accidents and Criminal Law for Louisiana

Q: Can I go to jail for supposedly running from police and leaving the scene of an accident I was never at nor knew about?

According to police. 2 motorcyclist ran from a cop, one rider (me) turned left at a round about. The other rider kept straight and the cop followed him allowing me to get away. Shortly after I turned, police say the other rider crossed the double lines and was killed from a head on collision with a police unit. Police are trying to find info in the rider that got away. Would kind of legal action can I face if charged? And can I be charged if I was never caught? And can I be charged with leaving the scene of an accident that I was never at nor had any knowledge of?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You can be charged with anything. Whether you will be convicted is another story. Hire a criminal attorney to review the evidence.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.