Owatonna, MN asked in Traffic Tickets for Minnesota

Q: I was told tonight my license was suspended, shouldn't I have been notified about it

I was given a ticket & told I could pay it online or call the DA on Monday to find out why. I had gotten a ticket over 2 yrs ago but paid the fine. I'm trying to figure out how I have been able to pay my tags, change title and have insurance if this true. How could no one have caught this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas C Gallagher
Thomas C Gallagher
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: Drivers licenses in Minnesota are administered by the Minnesota Department of Public Safety. You can call a "Driver Evaluator" there to discuss what's up with your license and whether they sent a notice. And you can go there to get a certified copy of your driver's license record. If you paid a fine but they think you didn't, you'll now be glad you saved that receipt proving it(or your credit card statement proving it). The court rarely makes those kind of mistakes, but I've caught a few of them (with a copy of the saved receipt for the fine paid). If you've now got a "Driving After Suspension" ticket, be sure to avoid getting convicted of that, since it will trigger an additional minimum 30-day license revocation (additional). You have better luck with that if you license is again in good standing before you go to court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.