Asked in Car Accidents for Tennessee

Q: Didnt report an accdent have witness that I stayed 3 hrs trying to get truck out of ditch, no injuries or damage.

Dodged a deer, got stuck in ditch. Didn't call the police. No one was hurt, truck not damaged. No property damage. Stayed 3 hrs trying to get several ppl to pull it out, but no one could. A neighbor said that in the morning her husband coukd pull it out with a tractor. So we all went home. The neighbor actually called the state trooper and he had my truck impounded. Finally tracked down the trooper (he was off) talked to his Lt. and he said I would receive citations for not reporting an accident and fleeing the scene. I was there for 3 hours! No one was hurt, no property damage,no damage to my truck! I didnt know I had to report it to the police when there was nothing to report!

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Anthony M. Avery

  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You probably committed the charged offense. But a General Sessions Judge might Dismiss it. But you will still have to pay for the impoundment fee and maybe other costs. If he finds you guilty, it should not affect your License, and if it does, demand a DOS Hearing.

Paul E. Tennison agrees with this answer

Peter N. Munsing

  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: You need to get with a lawyer who handles traffic cases before that judge. You don't want to mess with a leaving the scene. If the farmer was there etc. to me it's a defense that those who needed to know were in the know, etc. However state troopers tend to be rigid so get a lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.