Atlanta, GA asked in Civil Litigation and Criminal Law for Georgia

Q: Has the law changed o.c.g.a.9-14-43 the first time I understood it to say to be filed in the county I lived .

That didn't work. Judge told me to send it to the county of my conviction.i did ,now it was sent back . stating file it in the county I was incarcerated in. Who is right?

1 Lawyer Answer
Ecleynne Mercy
Ecleynne Mercy
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: The Habeas petition must be filed in the superior court of the county in which the petitioner is being detained (in prison).

Ga. Code Ann. § 9-14-43 (West)

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.