Asked in Child Custody and Criminal Law for Missouri

Q: Can my ex have custody papers served to me if I take him to court for no trespassing?

My ex has said he’s trying to serve me custody papers but I haven’t seen any papers. He recently had trespassed on my dads property, he’s terminally ill and doesn’t want him around and nor do I as I feel he is stalking me. Can my ex have child custody papers served if I take him to court for no trespassing?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lydia Seifner
Lydia Seifner
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Springfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: It's a little unclear if you are asking if you can be served at all, or if you can be served at court? The answer is yes to both. He cannot serve you directly, so even if you get an injunctive order against him to keep him off of your property, he can still have you served via a sheriff or process server. The process server, does not have to serve you on your property, you can also be served at the courthouse while at court for a different action, such as taking him to court for trespassing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.