Memphis, TN asked in Divorce for Tennessee

Q: I have a friend who is dating a guy that is married to an illegal immigrant.. the relationship failed he wants a divorce

She fights him and more so he wants to know how to get out of the petition without going to jail

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul E. Tennison
Paul E. Tennison
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: This sounds like it may be a difficult situation. I recommend your friend consult with an attorney at a firm that does both family law and immigration law. The same lawyer or team of attorneys may be able to help him with both the divorce and his immigration status. If he is being abused by a US citizen spouse, he may be eligible to apply for immigration relief under VAWA. My firm is experienced in these types of issues, you may want to contacting my office if you think we may be able to help. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.