Denver, CO asked in Domestic Violence for Colorado

Q: I filed a report against my fiancé for domestic violence, when the detective calls Can i have the case dropped?

I filed a report against my fiancé for domestic violence, when the detective calls Can i have the case dropped and not file ?

The ER (wanted to make sure the baby inside me is okay) called the police to inform of domestic violence. The police officer who took my statement filed the report but said I have to wait for a detective to call me to proceed. Can I tell the detective I don’t want to press charges or file against my fiancé? I don’t want this to get out of hand. We have a baby coming in 6 months.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko
  • Denver, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: The first thing that you think about should be safety for your baby and yourself. If the ER called the police, the harm was serious. it won't stop. The state can decide whether to prosecute or not based on the ER report. You can tell the detective that you do not want to prosecute, however the state is not bound by your decision. I recommend that you seek the assistance of an attorney or domestic violence shelter that can help you obtain a protection order.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.