Neenah, WI asked in Landlord - Tenant for Wisconsin

Q: A family member living as a guest proclaimed she was going to stay a until invicted.

(evicted sorry didn't get much sleep to this drama) , but then she moved out all her stuff but a bed later that day and returned her key. Is she legally moved out? She never paid rent, no lease agreement or anything. Can I change the locks? she has invited numerous suspicious people into the home, some of whome have stayed for multiple days. And I've witnessed her smoking drugs and seen her with a handgun she had no permit for.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jason Anthony Greller
Jason Anthony Greller
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Madison, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: Sounds like the family member was a tenant at will - which is a tenancy that may be created by a party in possession of the property even if they don't pay rent. But it also sounds like the tenant terminated the tenancy when she moved out the property, turned in the keys and surrendered possession of the property. Given your concerns, it makes sense to change the locks.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.