Memphis, TN asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Arkansas

Q: I'm in Faulkner County Ar., and was served a petition to establish paternity and custody, how do i file answer to this?

My daughters father wants to take custody completely from me and is trying to use my past against me. Meaning i was abused most of my upbringing and become a addict due to it. In 2014 I had lost everything in tornado and i had fallen in deep depression and relapsed. It was suggested to myself that I sign my mother temporary guardianship until I get on my feet and find myself as well as my path for not only myself but my children. So I did just that and about year later decided to change myself and the path that was chosen for me and so I did. I made major changes within myself including education I've been attending college now for about 4 years. I feel like I deserve the chance to prove myself.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Patrick R. Lee
Patrick R. Lee
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: The best way it so hire an attorney and let them guide you through the process. It sounds like he's definitely the father, so he'll likely be awarded some sort of visitation, but he'll likely be required to pay child support to the child's current custodian. Is that you or your mother?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.