Asked in Car Accidents for Tennessee

Q: If I Told the other driver I didn’t want to call police/insurance/file but I have thier name. can I change my mind?

Got rear ended but I figured everything was ok and I told the other driver I didn’t want to file a report. But they offered to fix scratches out of pocket. I didn’t take pictures or file a report but now I would rather go through her insurance. I have her name and number that’s it. Can I still do that? What if she doesn’t return my call?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Mr. James Charles Wright

  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You can. Hopefully you have the person's name and contact information. If they don't return your call and you don't have their insurance information you should send them a letter asking for them to contact you. If that doesn't work there are some other steps. But let's see if this works. If you have the insurance information you can contact the insurer- and report the matter.

Paul E. Tennison and Anthony M. Avery agree with this answer

Anthony M. Avery

  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You probably can go ahead and sue the other driver in Sessions Court. A Police Report is not needed, and is not admissible. But it can be hard obtaining a good address to serve them. You have a 3 yr SOL.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.