West Jordan, UT asked in Child Custody for Utah

Q: Is a paper signed out of court a legal guardianship doc? How do I find my children? Where do I start?

Aprox. 5 years ago my 3 children were taken by their father while I was in jail a couple days due to my children not having a guardian in which I had signed a paper of temporary guardianship to my daughters best friends mother which was in effect the day they were taken. Since they were taken they have been completely severed from everyone they ever knew and we do not know where to find them. Since no one showed the paper of temporary guardianship was there anything, the guardianship paper I signed, could have done to prevent my daughter from being taken? How can I find out where my children are at this point? Where do I start?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian Craig
Brian Craig
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Logan, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: That sounds like a challenging situation. A parent could first report the children missing with the police. If you can afford one, you might consider hiring a private investigator to help locate the temporary guardian and children. Skip tracing services are also available (Google "skip tracing services"). You might contact extended family, relatives, and friends of the temporary guardian and children for leads. In addition, the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children has some excellent resources and services. Lots of people also post things on social media so you could search popular social media sites like Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat for possible leads. I wish you the best.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.