Indianapolis, IN asked in Criminal Law for Georgia

Q: My brother was put on probation for bartow county Ga for burglery forced entry non residential and now hes back in jail

How much time is he looking at

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brandon Alexander Thomas
Brandon Alexander Thomas
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: if he committed a new felony, he can be revoked in full on his probation sentence. So, for example, if he has 10 years left on his probation, he could go to prison for 10 years.

If he committed a new misdemeanor while on probation, the maximum the judge can revoke under Georgia law is 2 years in prison.

If there are lesser violations like failure to report, testing positive for drugs, or failure to finish treatment programs, etc, an attorney can represent him in a probation hearing and try to get judge to give a favorable sentence for revocation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.