Cambridge, MA asked in Contracts for Maine

Q: I have a verbal agreement to pay a car for 1 year on time then I won’t need to finish out the pay. But now he wants meto

One year ago I made a verbal agreement I would pay one year on a car he purchased with a secured loan. I made the payments on time for one year, but now he’s bullying and harassing me saying I need to finish paying out the adorations two years. The car was $3500, and I held my end of the verbal agreement. There’s nothing in writing, but my statements will show one year of payments to his account. Now his daughter and granddaughter are saying they were there for the “verbal agreement” and that was not the deal. But they weren’t there and they are trying to lie to take me to court. Do they have a case?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Fred Bopp III
Fred Bopp III
  • Yarmouth, ME
  • Licensed in Maine

A: Verbal agreements can be enforceable under many circumstances, and this may be one of those situations, but the problem you are facing is the primary issue with verbal agreements. If there is a dispute over the agreement, then you need to prove the terms of the agreement with testimony (because there is no writing) and, when two sides tell two different stories, the judge or jury will have to asses the credibility of the witnesses and determine who is telling the truth. In situations such as yours, there is always a risk that the judge or jury will find against you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.