Joliet, IL asked in Probate for Arkansas

Q: My father passd away in February. I am the executor of his will. Would I be able to sell his home as the executor?

His will state that the money from the sale of the home go into a trust for 3 of his granddaughters. As the executor of his will and the executor of the trust could I sell his home and put the money into the trust, or would I need to get the home put into my name in order to sell it?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Patrick R. Lee
Patrick R. Lee
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: You need to file a probate action to be able to distribute his property according to the will. Being named executor in the will means nothing until a court admits the will to probate and appoints you as executor. Then you can file something to sell the house and put the proceeds into a trust for the three granddaughters.

The probate process can be tricky, so it's best to hire a lawyer to guide you through the process if you can afford it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.