Denver, CO asked in Criminal Law, Adoption and Child Custody for Colorado

Q: 18 U.S. Code § 3283. Offenses against children

My son was taken from in maryland when he was 5 years old i did not have a custody order, his mother took him to texas and legally signed over his custody to his granparents without my permission, he is now 26 years old, I have just located him, I would like to know if i can still file a charge against his mother and her parents, for his abduction under the law, thanks in advance.

1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: I am sorry to hear about your situation. If there was no custody order, then likely there was no parental kidnapping. Absent a custody order or mandatory injunction upon filing a petition, a parent is free to relocate with a child

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.