Newark, NJ asked in Landlord - Tenant for Maine

Q: Evict a tenant at will after complaints from the two other tenants living in the house.

Three tenants at will living in the same house. They have a co-tenant agreement between them. I have received multiple complaints from two of the tenants about the other individual for missing items and not helping with any chores around the house. I'm not sure weather I should evict the one tenant for nuisance or if the complaints aren't enough to do so?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Fred Bopp III
Fred Bopp III
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Yarmouth, ME
  • Licensed in Maine

A: Under Maine law, to evict a tenant at will for causing a nuisance within the premises, you will first need to provide a 7-day Notice to Quit (which must conform to the statutory guidelines) terminating the tenancy at will. As landlord, you will need to show, by affirmative proof, that the tenant caused a nuisance within the premises. This can be difficult to prove and, by definition, it is a grey area, because it is not entirely clear how much bad or disruptive conduct constitutes a nuisance. Alternatively, you can provide the tenant with a 30-day Notice to Quit (which must conform to the statutory guidelines) terminating the tenancy at will for no reason at all. In cases when the tenant has paid rent through the date when a 30-day notice would expire, the notice must expire on or after the date through which the rent has been paid.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.