Scranton, PA asked in Child Custody, Criminal Law, Family Law and Legal Malpractice for Pennsylvania

Q: In the state of PA ,Can I legally take my daughter from the father if we have no court order or custody established?

He has had her for 4 years from never giving her back to me amd is now not taking care of her properly he has an opend case with cny in another county . I want to take her to live with me and he is going to get aggressive and call the police . Will I get introuble for taking my daughter from him?

1 Lawyer Answer
Kathryn Hilbush
Kathryn Hilbush
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Media, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: I would not recommend that you just take the child away from him if there's an open CYS case. Talk to an experienced family law attorney to determine whether you should consider filing for custody.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.