Happy Valley, OR asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Oregon

Q: I have a custody order in Oregon, I was awarded sole legal and sole physical custody. Other parent currently has

Supervised visits until she can get she completely out of her life. My question is on my custody papers am I allowed to move I remember I had check marked a box that said something along the lines of I don’t need to notify the courts or other party if moving more than 60 miles from other parent. Sense that box was approved by the judge does that mean I can leave the state and still have the custody order upheld? Or when I get to a new state will I need to file for custody there to?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
M. Nicole Clooten
M. Nicole Clooten
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Pendleton, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: If the judge did approve that you do not have to give statutory notice, then you do not. The custody order in Oregon is valid in any state. You may want to register it as a foreign judgment in the new state. You would need to contact an attorney in the new state about that paperwork, but it is fairly simple generally. You will still need to abide by the current parenting time, though, unless you file a modification allowing you to change the parenting time. Otherwise you would be violating a court order. While you do not have to give notice, you cannot unilaterally change the parenting time plan because of a move unless there is a provision in the judgment to do so.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.