Chicago, IL asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Michigan

Q: Can a plea deal be appealed after you're sentenced?

I took a plea deal for domestic violence in a case i was innocent of, my court appointed attorney advised me to because my ex wife and her friend would make up any story they could to get me in trouble, can I appeal it?

1 Lawyer Answer
Daniel Hilf
Daniel Hilf
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Troy, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: If you plead guilty, you can have a lawyer file an Application for Leave to Appeal with a higher court (if the request is made timely). The higher court will look at the Application for Leave to Appeal, and decide on the Application alone whether or not the Court will hear the appeal. In most cases, they deny the Application and refuse to hear the appeal. If you wish to file an Application for Leave to Appeal, I recommend that you retain an experienced criminal defense lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.