Asked in Family Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Im 17 and I want to move in with my mom without my fathers consent. Can I do this without him making me return home?

I am treated badly at my fathers house, especially by his wife. They don't trust me to do anything. I can't even get a drivers license or a job. At my mothers house, she and her husband treat me with utmost respect and trust me. They both treat me like a young adult, not a child. They are more understanding and show me love and affection. They don't shout at me when I do something wrong. They understand me better. I want to live with my mom. My mom is a responsible adult with a stable home and her husband has a steady job to support every one. Can I "run away" from my dads house and move in with my mom without him forcing me to return to his home? Can he call the cops and will they do anything? Will I get my mom and stepdad in legal trouble?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Penelope A. Boyd
Penelope A. Boyd
  • West Chester, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You will learn in life that "running away" from your problems is almost never the best solution. If there is a court order regarding custody, you are asking your mother to violate that order if you make and act on this decision on your own. That does not mean that you might not be able to live with your mom. As a young adult who is not quite emancipated, you should talk to both your parents about your living situation. A parent can consult with an attorney in your area about making a change in the order. If it gets to a court, the court will take your wishes into account.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.