Monument, CO asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Domestic Violence for Colorado

Q: My mother gave me (20) a painful bruise while trying to take a roll of tape from me and I was not sure what I can do

I am 20 first off. I also still live with my parents. The incident happened while I was trying to work on our deck outside and she told me I was doing it wrong. I said no when she asked for the roll of tape. I then felt threatened when she started approaching me and turned away from her. She then grabbed onto me from behind and gave me a bruise on my arm that is still easily visable 3 days later. I don't want to feel threatened by my own mom as she has had issues controlling her anger for many years now. She is also an alcoholic and drinks 3-5 drinks every night and gets drunk. I do have some evidence of her being aggressive in the form of a video and pictures of the bruise every day.

1 Lawyer Answer
Courtney Edwards
Courtney Edwards
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Edwards, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: You could report the assault to the police- they would investigate and determine if an arrest or summons was warranted. If they arrested her for assault, the judge could impose a protection order to protect you from her. However, in Colorado, domestic violence refers to folks who a in an intimate relationship, not strictly a familiar relationship and an arrest and protection order aren't mandatory in your case. You could also apply for a civil protection order against her without being involved in the criminal court. The problem is, you live in her house, so that would need to be addressed somehow.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.