Olathe, KS asked in Real Estate Law for Colorado

Q: My parents are both deceased. They have property in Colorado deeded in 1981 where they are co-oweners.

I need to have the property put in my name since I am the heir. The title company said it needs to be probated in order to get the title transferred. My father died in 1991. A few years later my mom included the property in a trust in the state of Missouri where they have always lived. My mom passed 3 years ago. The deed does not state joint tenants. Is there a low cost way to transfer this property without doing probate on my father portion of the co-ownership. My dad has been deceased for 29 years so I don’t know how a probate would even be done.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby
  • Castle Rock, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: The probate will help you clean up the title issues in CO. If no one opposing your appointment as Personal Representative or your handling of the CO assets the probate will be relatively quick and inexpensive. You should contact a CO attorney to discuss the process and costs.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.