Owatonna, MN asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Minnesota

Q: What is the fastest and nicest way of divorce and child custody?

My husband goes back and forth telling me that he wants the nicest divorce and child custody but the next time it is brought up that he will drag out the divorce the longest and expensive way as possible. Is there a way to get it done fast and nicely as possible, when he is against getting advice from lawyers.

I am a stay at home mom, with no income and no assistance.

1 Lawyer Answer
Corwin Kruse
Corwin Kruse
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: "Fastest and nicest" is a pretty subjective goal. More importantly, fastest and nicest may not be "best"; rather it may simply be agreeing with everything that the other person wants. As a SAHM, you would potentially receive some level of spousal maintenance. In addition, you could ask that your spouse pay some or all of your attorney fees and costs.

You can certainly handle a divorce by yourselves - many people do. The court system publishes information and forms for your to use: http://www.mncourts.gov/help-topics/divorce.aspx

That said, I would strongly encourage you to, at minimum, have an attorney review the final proposed agreement before you submit it to the court to ensure that you aren't getting taken. Many attorneys offer "unbundled" services, which allow you to hire the attorney to perform a specific task (like reviewing the agreement) rather than provide full representation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.