Murfreesboro, TN asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Tennessee

Q: How can I get charges dismissed against my fiancé in a domestic case I have black outs and ptsd and feel I made a error

Also trying to get an order of protection dismissed.

1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Kent Thomas Jones Esq.
Mr. Kent Thomas Jones Esq.
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: This actually happens quite often. You can tell the District Attorney that you made a mistake and will not be prosecuting as the victim/witness.

If you are not subpoenaed to court, you do not have to show. The District Attorney will ultimately make attempts to subpoena you.

If you are not served and do not appear, they will usually reschedule the case about three (3) times, then dismiss it for lack of prosecution. If you are subpoenaed and do appear, just tell them that you made a mistake and will not prosecute. Usually after about three (3) times, they will drop it. Just don't make a habit of using the police department as a tool if you are not really scared and serious.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.