Philadelphia, PA asked in Adoption and Family Law for Pennsylvania

Q: What steps do I need to take to adopt my nephew? Do we have to go to court if the parents are willing?

My sister realized the she isn’t financially fit to take care of a child also she doesn’t have the best living situation so she reached out to me and my wife to see if we were willing to take her unborn child when she gives birth. After a long talk with her and her boyfriend we all decided this was the best course of action but I want to take the right steps with the right paperwork.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kathryn Hilbush
Kathryn Hilbush
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Media, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: The parents' parental rights will have to be terminated and an adoption petition filed. Your county may have guidance available online for completing this process which is somewhat complicated. I'd suggest that you retain an attorney to shepherd this through the system for you but, if you don't want to do that and there aren't sufficient forms online, then you'll have to hit the law library. Beware of online services that you pay to obtain for the forms - they're almost always generic and usually unacceptable to any specific jurisdiction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.