Marietta, GA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Georgia

Q: I have 2 individuals who rent rooms at my property in Marietta, GA Cobb County, There is no lease. How do I legally

give the notice to vacate premises? It is my understanding that I must give a 60 day notice. If they do not leave at the 60 days do I then have to legally evict? If so, is it best to do a legal eviction right away?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paula J. Mcgill
Paula J. Mcgill
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Roswell, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If the tenants are not paying rent, give them a three day pay or quit notice. If they fail to pay rent or vacate, you can file the dispossessory on the 4th day.

If they aren't breaching the lease agreement and you don't have a shorter notice in your lease, you must give 60 days notice if they are month to month tenants.

If you have a lease with an absolute termination date and you don't have an early termination provision, you cannot give them an early notice unless they breach the lease.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.