Lake Charles, LA asked in Child Support for Louisiana

Q: Can the ex come back and demand more child support after 13 or 14 years?

My husband was previously married. 2 children born during marriage. He's on both birth certs even though she'd been cheating. They divorced about 13 or 14 yrs ago. Children not mentioned in divorce decree and no court order for support. No written agreement. He paid $500 per month while he had a better paying job. Three yrs ago he took a lower paying job making half the money and has been sending $200 per month since. Several yrs ago he found out through paternity test that neither child is his. An atty told him he'd been on the birth certs too long & was obligated. Oldest is 18 & just graduated from HS. Ex is demanding my husband help pay for the 18 yo auto insurance. When he hesitated the ex is now threatening to take him to court. He's still paying on the 15 yo by check, every month and hand delivering to the ex. She's never complained about the amount but now she's making a fuss. He's paying the same $200 even though he isnt obligated for the older one. Should he be concerned?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Yes. He needs to hire a child support lawyer immediately.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.